How to I set up Scheduling Templates in Administration?
SET UP DEFAULT SCHEDULES IN ADMINISTRATION
Each construction type consists of an estimate template and an associated schedule. When adding a new job you will declare the construction type of the project. The estimate template and schedule template are created in Administration and can be fine-tuned or customized inside the project.
Administration > Administration > Select Task = Set Up Division Bid items, Construction type, Unit or Quantity & Item Code > Manage Construction Types
The steps in this process can be accessed in the secondary navigation bar and are shown in order from left to right.
- Step1a – Select Construction Type
- Select an existing Construction Type (Estimate Template) from drop down or create a new one from scratch.
- Select a Construction Type to work with from drop down menu > Update or
- Create a New Construction Type – Type Construction Type name in the text box > Add. The new construction type will now be available to select from the drop down on the left.
- Select Division Set (16 or 48). Completing this step will automatically place you in the next step (Build Estimate Template)
- Build Estimate Template – Select cost codes to be included in the new estimate template or add & remove from an existing template.
- To reveal cost codes, click on desired division to expand
- Codes on the right (a) are codes that are currently included in this Construction Type. Click items on the left (b) to add them. Click items on the right to remove them
Note: Navigation options on this screen include hover to open a division or select Expand all Divisions (c).
- Build Schedule – Functions include: Selecting cost codes as tasks, schedule order dates for material items, create custom (non-cost coded) tasks, & create child tasks) All codes selected in Build Estimate Template phase will appear here for you to decide if and how to schedule it. You can always go back to Build Estimate Template if you find you need to add or remove items.
- i. Step 1b, 2b: Manage Tasks > Turn cost codes into tasks on your schedule. S expense types (Subcontractor) will be scheduled by default.
- To schedule an item, click the plus sign in the Scheduled column.
- To remove an item from the schedule, click the checkmark. Unchecking a cost item will not remove it from the estimate template but they will not appear on your schedule template.
- Schedule Material Delivery & Order Dates by scheduling it and then entering the order lead time.
- Step 1c: Create Custom Tasks that will not be associated with a labor or cost item. This should be done only in rare instances. Creating a schedule that is not integrated with cost codes will not allow for maximum utility of the software. Do not add milestones as custom tasks. They will be added in ‘Manage Tasks’.
- Select a division to add this task to or select Add above 1st Division to add it to no division
- Type task name in the text field provided. If it is an item or material that will be ordered and delivered, enter the order lead time.
- Step 1d: Create Child Tasks – for tasks that will have multiple phases. This is commonly used for projects with multiple phases to a task. In the case of multiple areas you may designate areas as child tasks and then have child tasks of each area: Electrical:Floor 1:Rough In. There is no limit to the number of levels of child tasks.
- Click a blue task name
- Type the child task name in the text box provided. If it is a material item that will be ordered and delivered, enter the order lead time.
- Step 1e: Order Tasks – In this step you will put your tasks in the order that they will be executed. Material items must be placed directly above the tasks they are associated with. Some people opt to skip the Order Tasks screen as you will be able to order and delete tasks in the Manage Tasks screen as well. The Order Tasks screen allows you to drag tasks from 1 division and drop them into another. Divisions will not be applied once you move to Manage Tasks.
- Move a task – Open the division you want to move from. Drag the task by left clicking and holding while you move the task. When the task is hovering over the division you want to move it to, drop it by releasing the left click on your mouse. (Drag & Drop)
- Delete a task by clicking the trash can next to it.
- Manage Tasks
- Steps 1e, 2c: Order Tasks
Method 1: Click on the task name that you wish to relocate. Drag it to the location you want it and drop. (Drag & Drop)
Method 2: Select a task (or multiple tasks by using CTRL or SHIFT > right click > move your curser below the line you wish to move selected tasks to > right click > Insert Above
NOTE: A material item must be placed directly above the task that is associated with it.
- Delete Tasks
Method 1:Click on the task box on the Gantt chart (it will turn grey). Click delete on your keyboard.
Method 2:Select a task (or multiple tasks by using CTRL or SHIFT > right click > Delete
- Duplicate Tasks – Select a task (or multiple tasks by using CTRL or SHIFT > right click > Duplicate. This will place the new tasks right below the selected tasks. You can use Order Tasks > 2 above to relocate the duplicated tasks.
- Step 1f: Create Milestones – A Substantial Completion milestone will appear at the bottom of the schedule and cannot be removed. It can be moved and linked just like any other task or milestone. It will be compared to the required project completion any time you make schedule changes to alert you if your completion date is in jeopardy.
- Hover Action > Click Create Milestone
- Type Milestone Name
- Click Create. Milestone will be located at the top of your Gantt chart for drag & drop placement.
- Step 1g: Establish Dependencies
- Link in Sequence – Once your items are in order, establishing dependencies is easy. Simply click the Link in Sequence button. This will link your tasks in the order that you have arranged them using FS (Finish to Start) dependencies. For the tasks that don’t fall in that order, you can use custom linking to adjust.
- Step 2d: Custom linking
- Delete a link – Click the link that you wish to erase (it will turn a dark blue). Click delete on your keyboard.
- Create a new link – Hover over the box you wish to link from and click the dot on the appropriate side of the task. Drag and drop to place the link on the appropriate task. See d below for available dependency types.
- To delete all links and start over, click Unlink Sequence under Actions.
- Available Dependency Types
- FS (Finish to Start – after the first task finishes, the second task starts) – Connect the red dot on the preceding task to the blue dot on the succeeding task.
- SS (Start to Start – the start of the first task triggers the start of the second) – Connect the blue dot on the first task to the blue dot on the second task.
- FF (Finish to Finish – the second task continues only as long as the first task is in progress) – Connect the red dot of the first task to the red dot of the second task.
- Add lags – After establishing links, you may need to create some lag time between events. Open the task dialogue box of the second (dependent) task by double clicking the task box or single clicking the task number. The current link will be displayed in the dependency field. Click in that field; add a colon (:) followed by the number of days you wish to lag. You can also add durations at this time but, remember, you are creating the template for a construction type. It is most common to leave these as 1 in administration and apply durations inside the project schedule. Click Save when done.
- Delete a task from the schedule – Click the task row that you wish to remove (it will turn dark aqua). Click delete on your keyboard. If you mistakenly delete a task, return to Build Schedule and click the plus to add it back to your schedule.
- Add Summary Bars to your schedule
- Under the Action menu, select Create Summary Bar
- Enter the title of the phase > Create
- Open the summary dialogue box by double clicking the bar or single clicking the line number on the left
- Select the Start Task for the phase – The start date of this task will anchor the left end of the summary bar.
Select the End Task for the phase – The end date of this task will anchor the right end of the summary bar.
You have completed your schedule template. When you use this construction type to build a project, this template can be customized and durations added. Please read on to see how to make adjustments inside your project.